TripAdvisor, Bureau of Transportation, Tokyo Metropolitan Government:
TOKYO 100 Campaign for Deciding Tokyo's Most Popular Spots The Results Are In!
Here are Tokyo's Most Popular Tourist Destinations!
The Bureau of Transportation, Tokyo Metropolitan Government, and TripAdvisor Japan (headquarters: Shibuya-ku, Tokyo; Country Manager: Tomoe Makino; English page, the world's largest travel site which helps travelers plan their trips and make reservations, from April, 2016 to March, 2017, jointly conducted the TOKYO 100 Campaign to determine the top 100 travel spots in Tokyo. These spots were identified through user reviews and include uncommon gems not found on other lists.
The final results are as follows:
A. The top 20 spots in the final ranking of the TOKYO 100 Campaign
*The entire list can be found at the end
|1||JAL Factory Tour Sky Museum||Ota-ku||11||ANA Maintenance Facility Tour||Ota-ku|
|2||Tokyo Tower ★||Minato-ku||12||Tokyo Metropolitan Teien Art Museum ★||Minato-ku|
|3||Shinjuku Gyoen ★||Shinjuku-ku||13||Yasukuni Shrine ★||Chiyoda-ku|
|4||Tokyo Racecourse (Horse racing)||Fuchu-shi||14||Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building ★||Chiyoda-ku|
|5||Meiji Shrine ★||Shibuya-ku||15||Ghibli Museum||Mitaka-shi|
|6||Tokyo National Museum ★||Taito-ku||16||National Museum of Western Art ★||Taito-ku|
|7||Akasaka Palace (State Guest House) ★||Minato-ku||17||KidZania Tokyo ★||Koto-ku|
|8||Nezu Museum ★||Minato-ku||18||Edo-Tokyo Museum ★||Sumida-ku|
|9||Chidori-ga-fuchi ★||Chiyoda-ku||19||Happoen ★||Minato-ku|
|10||National Museum of Nature and Science ★||Taito-ku||20||National Art Center ★||Minato-ku|
[About the review method] This ranking is based on a unique algorithm that takes not only Japanese, but also foreign language TripAdvisor recommendations on Tokyo from April 12, 2016 to March 31, 2017 into account on a 1-to-5 scale.
B. Overview of the TOKYO 100 Campaign
- Campaign period: April 12, 2016 - March 31, 2017
- Details: The TOKYO 100 Campaign called for recommendations posted on TripAdvisor from local residents and those with a deep knowledge of Tokyo, such as people who commute to the city for school or work. The TOKYO 100 was decided based on the results of user reviews posted to TripAdvisor during this campaign.
- Number of registered participants: Approx. 8,600
C. Trends in user reviews and rankings:
- In addition to spots offering entertaining experiences, many art and natural history museums were ranked highly.
- 69 of the top 100 travel spots are located along train lines operated by the Bureau of Transportation. (Travel spots marked with ★ on the list below can be found near lines operated by the Bureau.)
- The TOKYO 100 Campaign led to a 60% increase in comments about tourism hotspots as well as a more diverse selection of user reviews.
- The top five regions with the most tourism hotspots were Minato-ku, Chuo-ku, Shinjuku-ku, Taito-ku and Chiyoda-ku. Furthermore, the regions with the greatest increase in recommended travel spots compared to the same period prior to the start of the campaign were Kita-ku, Shinjuku-ku and Sumida-ku.
- 30% of the top 100 travel spots have a higher level of recognition among the international community, with user reviews and comments in foreign languages surpassing entries in Japanese for those particular spots.
- However, foreign language entries overall amounted to fewer than 20% of all user reviews, and around 30% of the top 100 spots - mainly in the 23 wards of Tokyo, such as parks, shrines and temples - are expected to gain more recognition among foreign nationals.
D. Comment from TripAdvisor Japan, Country Manager, Tomoe Makino
This trend was also seen at the time of the interim announcement, but there has been an extreme increase in the number of travel spots which received reviews, and additional new tourist spots have been identified through these comments. We will continue to assist in conveying the appeal of Tokyo by encouraging additional user reviews based on the results of the campaign.
E. Comment from first-ranked JAL Factory Tour Sky Museum
Yoshiharu Ueki, President of Japan Airlines Co., Ltd.
We are honored that JAL Factory Tour Sky Museum was ranked number one in the TOKYO 100. JAL Factory Tour Sky Museum is the main program for thinking about our own future through [the study of] aircraft, which is one of the themes of JAL Soraiku® - a next-generation program that JAL is currently engaged in. Through this hands-on JAL program, we will provide opportunities to think about the future, explore new discoveries and learn by experiencing the wonder of flight. In addition to actively supporting the next generation in leading us into the future, we are happy to provide the experience of the JAL Factory Tour Sky Museum to people who are interested in flight, and people who want to learn more about aircraft.
F. Top 20 in the final ranking of gourmet spots
In addition to the TOKYO 100, the top 20 in the ranking of gourmet spots is as follows:
|1||Ise Sueyoshi||Minato-ku||11||Elio Locanda Italiana||Chiyoda-ku|
|4||Toriton Tokyo Soramachi Store||Sumida-ku||14||Toraya Tokyo||Chiyoda-ku|
|5||Kuromatsu Honpo Sogetsu||Kita-ku||15||Yakiniku Kurumu||Shinjuku-ku|
|6||Chinese Restaurant Fureika||Minato-ku||16||Suzukien Asakusa Store||Taito-ku|
|7||Komagata Dozeu Asakusa Store||Taito-ku||17||Joel Robuchon Restaurant||Meguro-ku|
|9||GardenSawanoien||Oume-shi||19||à tes souhaits||Musashino-shi|
|10||Oriental Lounge||Chuo-ku||20||Obica Mozzarella Bar, Roppongi Hills||Minato-ku|
G. Future development
Using the comments received during the campaign, information will be communicated in the following ways. Details will be announced in late May.
1) Publication of leaflet guides
The top 100 ranked travel spots will be summarized in leaflets published in four languages (Japanese, English, Traditional Chinese, Korean). The leaflets will be placed and distributed in Toei subway stations.
2) Launch of website
Web pages providing detailed information about the appeal of the 100 spots will be published on the TripAdvisor website.
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to unleash the potential of every trip. TripAdvisor offers advice from millions of travelers, with 500 million reviews and opinions covering 7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions, and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features - checking more than 200 websites to help travelers find and book today's lowest hotel prices. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 390 million average unique monthly visitors** in 49 markets worldwide.
TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP), through its subsidiaries, manages and operates websites under 23 other travel media brands:
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, November 2016
**Source: TripAdvisor log files, Q3 2016
H. Please direct inquiries to
Toei Transportation Customer Center
Final ranking of TOKYO 100 by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government's Bureau of Transportation and Trip Advisor:
[Note] ★ indicates a facility located in the vicinity of a train line operated by the Bureau of Transportation.