’Children’s Smile Spot’ to open in Ueno-okachimachi Station on the Toei Subway Oedo Line, providing assistance for parents with babies and little children
The Bureau of Transportation, Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) is pleased to announce that “Children’s Smile Spot,” an area designed to provide support for parents getting around the city with babies and little children, will open on Friday, July 7, 2023, in Ueno-okachimachi Station on the Toei Subway Oedo Line.
Ueno-okachimachi station already provides several amenities for those going out with babies and toddlers. In February of this year, a nursing room was installed inside the station. In April, it became the first subway station in Japan to offer a stroller rental service. Children’s Smile Spot will include both of these services, plus a newly installed vending machine, from which parents can purchase childcare products, such as liquid baby formula and disposable diapers. The area will also feature a distinctive design to make it easier to find.
Through initiatives like this, which provides parents and care-givers of young children with peace of mind when they travel, the Tokyo Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation hopes to contribute to the fostering of a society that supports and encourages childrearing.
Children’s Smile Spot (trademark registration pending)
Friday, July 7, 2023 (operating hours are listed below)
Ueno-okachimachi Station of the Toei Subway Oedo Line (in the concourse outside the ticket gates)
- Open from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- The room is equipped with a nursing sofa, shelf, ventilation fan, barrier-free floors, etc. The room can be locked from the inside.
* The room is not equipped with a trash bin, so users are required to take any trash home.
* If users need hot water, they have to bring it with them. (The room is not equipped with a water supply or drainage systems.)
* Users can buy liquid baby formula from the newly installed vending machine.
(Those with infants will be able to feed them without worries in the ‘Children’s Smile Spot,’ nursing room which will be set up at Ueno-okachimachi station of the Toei Subway Oedo Line.)
2.Stroller rental service (Babycal)
- Installed and operated by JRE babycal buggy rental service
- Available from 8:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Fee (including tax):
¥250 for the first hour; ¥100 for each additional 30 minutes
¥1,500 for up to 12 hours; ¥100 for each additional 30 minutes after 12 hours
- Available strollers: Combi SC51 designed for childcare facilities, for children up to 4 years old (maximum weight: 18 kg)
(1) After registering membership on the designated website, users will reserve the service online by choosing the date, time, and location.
(2) Using the bar code on the reservation panel displayed on their smartphone, users should then scan it over the provided operational panel.
(3) Users will see a spot where the indicator light is flashing; they are to pull out the IC key to bring a stroller out.
(4) Enjoy your outing! But users should return the stroller to the rental office when they are through with it.
*Note: Please understand that service availability is subject to change or suspension without notice.
*Regarding the usage of babycal, please also refer to our website.
(A father holding his baby in his arms is about to rent a baby stroller rental service at Ueno-okachimachi Station on the Toei Subway Oedo Line.)
3. Vending machines for childcare products
- Installed and operated by Kirin Beverage Co., Ltd.
- Service hours: during the operating hours of the station (from the first train to the last one)
- Goods available:
disposable diapers (M size and L size, in packs of 2), baby-wipes.
beverages (liquid infant formula, green tea, brown tea, water, sports drinks, fruit/vegetable juice, etc.)
(A mother with her baby in her arms is about to buy some childcare products at a vending machine. One of such a vending machine will be installed at ‘Children’s Smile Spot’ at Ueno-okachimachi subway station, too. Even liquid baby formula and disposable diapers will be available.)
Reference: Operating train cars equipped with ’Childcare Support Spaces‘
The Bureau of Transportation of the TMG has been operating trains with “Childcare Support Space” on every Toei Subway line to help passengers traveling with small children use the trains more comfortably and free from worries.
Thomas the Tank Engine
Daruma-chan and Tengu-chan
Daruma-chan and Kaminari-chan
lotje © Mercis bv
miffy and dan © Mercis bv